Monday, October 31, 2011

So the bro snap here is actually a form of getting the teacher's attention

I know its been a few days, but I have started teaching, lesson planning, and material making, so I have been quite busy. I got off to a rocky start teaching, which I suppose should be expected since I have never taught before.

I love all my kids. Both the private school and refugee center kids! The private school kids have some listening and behavioral issues, but I've come up with a motivational incentive system which seems to be working. I'm learning what does and does not work with keeping that class in line. The biggest thing to tackle now is getting them motivated to actually learn. Like even if i can keep them quiet, things don't sink in for some of them. SO I need to make lots of visual aids (goodbye free time?)
The kids at the refugee center are so eager to learn for the most part, which is great! They don't know a whole lot, and I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what they do and do not know. The lower class can be a little unorderly. They're younger so its understandable but apparently part of my job is kicking students out (just for the day) that won't behave. I don't want to have to do it, but I think I'm going to have to. My second class is nearly perfect. A couple girls have problems not speaking in Arabic, BUT its not too much of an issue.
And I've really bonded with them.
The other thing that is annoying is the bro snap. Here what they do is stand up and do the bro snap to get you to call on them. Im pretty sure they don't know that in America thats what it is. What I mean is that I think its a parallel cultural phenomenon. Its irritating on its own, but even more so because it reminds me of the bro snap. I dont respond to it haha.
A few of them kept trying to walk home with me. I teach in one refugee camp and live in another. I like to walk back home...its about 25-40 min depending on if Im carrying a backpack or a backpack and 10 large hardcover books in my hands. I don't want them walking back alone so its a consistent "ok now go back home girls I will see you tomorrow" "no miss casey please we come with you" "no you can't it is not allowed" etc etc etc...eventually we part ways have 10 hugs (between just a few girls) and a few i love yous. Actually its really only happened he past 2 days since i started taking over...but I have a feeling it will continue. I don't mind really...whats an extra 5 min to my walk?

We went to deliver food to one family's house...I think the poorest in my class. Theres a mom, ten kids, one on the way and a TINY house that I didnt have time to go into this time but apparently will. One of the other teachers said she gets lice everytime she goes. The kids are so dirty and roam the streets. The mom doesn't keep track of them and apparently cannot tell you which of her kids were in school or not...not the best mother apparently. The two girls from the family in my class are really hard to control. But its important for them to be allowed to come.

My housemates and I get along super well which is great! We will probably travel together over the upcoming holiday. It will be nice to both get out and see new things, but also spend some time catching up with classroom preparations.

I know I'm missing things, but I think I covered the biggest chunk of things. I'm really starting to get used to getting around here and all the jazz. I love this city. So much.



1 comment:

  1. It's inspiring to see how God has laid this opportunity out for you Casey! This is incredible. A year ago you were here at BU and now you're in Palestine loving on refugee kids and making lesson plans...I almost can't believe its real! You give me hope that one day I too will get outta here and do something wild. I admire you and am so proud to call you my friend! =)

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete